I have really thick hair and it’s hard to find hats that fit on my head. When out in the sun my scalp always burns, especially in the part. I plan to attend World Wide Knit in Public Day this year so figure I could whip up a kerchief in a few days to protect my head.
Pattern: Rosie the Riveter Knit Kerchief by Amy Boatright
Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Ombres & Prints
Needles: US6/4.0mm (Denise Interchangeables)
Started: June 10, 2010
Finished: June 12, 2010
I cast on 89 stitches instead of 91. 91 stitches won’t work anyway, because the pattern is a multiple of 4 + 1. Also made my bobbles differently: k1fb twice in next st, turn, p4, turn, k4, slip third, second, and first sts one at a time over fourth st. Other than those mods, I knit the pattern as is. I wasn't sure about the bobbles at first, but once I put it on I thought they looked fine. You can omit the bobbles though if you like.
This is what it looks like before you seam up the head band. Looks a bit funny.
Here I was trying to demonstrate how to attach the two ends of the head band, though I realized after I uploaded the pic that this is wrong spot to seam, but you get the idea. Clicking on the photo will take you to Flickr where you can see notes on the photo.