Summer 2014 Bucket List

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Adventures in Dyeing

My friend came over on Saturday and we dyed some yarn. I have dyed yarn before, mostly using Wilton Icing Colours. I had some sock yarn to dye up, and she wanted to over-dye some yarn in her stash.

I am not going to document the entire process here, but I will link to some helpful sites. I tend to just make things up as I go along, which works for me, but it's probably better to have a "recipe" or specific instructions. There is a lot of information out there on how to dye yarn at home, and a lot of different techniques. Below are some links I've found helpful, but you can find more information by doing a web search for the techniques you're interested in.

Lisa's yarn in the dye pot on the stove

My yarn, undyed wool (I did mine in the microwave)

Orange dye bath

Orange dye bath

Green dye bath

Finished wool

Dyed wool drying

Electric Mango!

I can't wait until it's dry and I can knit a pair of socks!

1 comment: